It is evident that the rivers have always been very important to the city of Pune. However, the quality of water in the river has deteriorated over decades and the city has slowly turned its back to the river. The most pressing issues of the existing rivers are:
1. Untreated sewage flowing into the rivers.
2. Garbage being dumped in the rivers.
3. Construction debris being dumped in the rivers.
4. The river being encroached upon by unplanned development.
5. Threat of flooding.
6. Rivers being inaccessible by the citizens.
7. Rivers dividing the city instead of uniting it.